The City of Champaign seeks qualified candidates for a career opportunity as a Civil Engineer III in the Public Works Department.
Responsibilities of Position
Duties for this position include (but are not limited to): overseeing the design, construction, management and operation of large stormwater infrastructure improvement projects in coordination with a project team; planning and budgeting of stormwater improvements; construction observation; measurement and documentation of construction materials and quantities; and communicating with contractors, project partners, and property owners.
The City’s mission is to provide responsive, caring, cost-effective service in partnership with our community. The following values guide our work: Personal Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, Results.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university.
- At least six years of experience as a Civil Engineer.
- Master's degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university and four years of experience is an acceptable substitution.
- Professional Engineer registration in the State of Illinois or in another state with the ability to obtain Illinois registration within six months of hire.
- Availability to work outside of normal work hours as needed.
- Experience with field surveying, construction plans and specifications, construction standards, and construction observation.
- A current, valid driver's license issued by the State of Illinois or the ability to obtain within 90 days of date of hire.
- Master’s degree in an applicable branch of Civil Engineering, Business or Public Administration.
- Previous engineering experience in a municipal, county, state or Federal government agency.
- Previous customer service experience with engineering project management and delivery.
- Experience supervising the work of a team or work unit.
- Previous project management experience (e.g. planning, cost estimating, budgeting, and managing) with public stormwater/drainage infrastructure improvement projects.
- Basic knowledge of engineering specific software (e.g. CAD, GIS, etc).