Accountable for grossing, embedding, sectioning and staining of tissue and slides for microscopic diagnosis while maintaining critical focus on quality.
Essential Key Responsibilities:
• Grosses tissues, embeds tissues and cuts blocks/tissue performing all technical procedures required to prepare tissue and slides in a timely and accurate manner while maintaining the highest standard of quality in tissue embedding, cutting of blocks (microtomy), H&E staining, special stains and immuno stains (immuno stains where applicable). At this time the lab does not perform immuno stains but we anticipate adding within the next 6 months.
• Follows all protocols of quality and accuracy.
• Maintains laboratory equipment in proper working order to ensure consistent, high quality function.
• Monitors equipment functionality and provides timely reports on variables or degraded quality to laboratory management for prompt attention.
• Improves laboratory efficiencies by detecting and communicating technical and logistical problems to laboratory management for resolution.
• Disposes of hazardous chemical waste per regulatory guidelines (limited function – will be assigned to specific trained personnel).
• Supports with assistance the performance of other laboratory functions/tasks as needed to enhance operational flow.
• Keeps company integrity by maintaining security and confidentiality of all data, procedures and data system components.
College degree in related field and ASCP certification strongly preferred.
One year of laboratory experience required (Pathology or Academic)Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Technical Functional skills• Communication skills• Analytical ability/ PC skills
• Knowledge of Biology or Biological processes
• Detail Oriented
• Problem Solving skills
• Team Participation skills
Environmental Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Laboratory work environment with exposure to various chemicals and equipment. Prolonged sitting, frequent walking, standing, bending, stooping and lifting up to fifty (50) pounds. Safety equipment and personal protective equipment provided and required. Requires normal range of hearing and manual dexterity sufficient to operate office and laboratory equipment.
HIPAA Security Level: High
All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of education, knowledge, skills and/or experience necessary to proficiently perform the job. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodations.