The Department of Laboratory Medicine provides a full range of laboratory services including Clinical Microbiology and Virology, Clinical Hematology, Clinical Immunology, Flow Cytometry, Molecular Diagnostics, Clinical Chemistry, Transfusion Medicine, Tumor Profiling and satellite laboratories throughout the state of Connecticut as well as a large network of community draw stations.
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Has general administrative and technical responsibility for all aspects of the Department , across all Laboratory disciplines at both hospital campuses and all ambulatory sites. Administrative responsibilities include laboratory operations, personnel policies and practices, budget preparation and control, the implementation of adminstrative procedures and special projects dealing with a variety of management , technical and operational issues. Manages a variety of clinical and non-clinical, general laboratory activities and special programs consistent with departmental goals and objectives, administrative guidelines and the overall mission of the Hospital. Serves as the liaison to the Yale School of Medicine Department of Pathology, ensuring that pathology services are delivered to meet the patient care needs of Yale New Haven Hospital and in a cost effective manner
- 1. Responsible along with the Chief , for ensuring that the Department meets both the high patient care standards as well as high customer service standards of YNHH. Responsible, along with the Chief, for assuring that the Department works smoothly with all other Departments at YNHH to meet the mission of the Hospital. Works wth other members of YNHH system ,as needed, to optimize Clinical Laboratory activities across the system. Always adherers to the highest ethical clinical standards.
- 2. Directs special projects relating to operational and technical activities, promoting and overseeing the implementation of recommendations for action among clinical laboratory departmental sections.
- 3. Is a standing member of various departmental hospital wide and system committees to include, but not limited to, leadership meetings and regulatory compliance activities, Clinical Evaluation Committee, Continuing Education and Point of Care Testing.
- 4. Drafts, develops and administers departmental policies and prodecures. Recommends policy and procedure revisions and provides appropriate interpretations to the Laboratory Medical Directors and Laboratory Managers as necessary. Responsible for departmental participation on a variety of laboratory surveys.
- 5. Responsible for all service excellence initiatives in the department to include, but not limited to, evaluation and resolution of all complaint issues in coordination with Patient Relations.
- 6. Responsible for all laboratory performance improvement projects to include, but not limited to, those with a Six Sigma and/or Lean focus. Works with managers and consults with the Quality Performance Lead to ensure ongoing performance improvement.
- 7. Oversees all Human Resource needs across Laboratory medicine. Coordinates and provides guidance to each laboratory section in human resource issues to include recruitment, selection and appointment of necessary personnel, scheduling, position description development and the resolution of personnel problems. Responsible for consultation with employee relations in all final written warnings and employee discharges.
- 8. Responsible for directing the activities of the department's Point of Care testing Specialist, Quality Assurance team, Compliance Coordinator, Regulatory Compliance Specialist, and the Asst. Administrative Manager.
- 9. Responsible for payroll and personnel transactions and reporting systems, including employe requisitions, performance appraisals, salary increases, position budget changes, terminations,etc in order to ensure accuracy and consistency with established hospital policies and practices.
- 10. Supervises the work activities of the departmental administrative office staff to ensure customer service needs related to the office are met.
- 11. Responsible for establishment of training and professional development for all Laboratory Medicine staff members, supervisor and managers. Serves as coach/mentor to all management and supervisory staff.
- 12. Responsible for development of the department's business plan , along with the Chief and Executive Director, and ensures that it parallels that of the hospital's goals and objectives as defined within the overal hospital business plan. Also develops strategic planning for short and long term goals.
- 13. Responsible for the coordination of manager's yearly performance goals and assessments in conjunction with the chief of laboratory medicine and laboratory directors.
- 14. Responsible for oversight of all construction and renovation projects in the department. Develops with the Chief, requests for new construction /renovation project considerations. Works with equipment vendors, facilities planning and design, outside architects and contractors to ensure necessary project completion within acceptable timelines.
- 15. Serves as departmental contact for CON coordination to ensure prompt, timely gathering of necessary information for CON requirements.
- 16. Provides oversight and direction in the development and management of department operating and capital budgets across the clinical laboratories
- 17. Responsible for preparation of operating and capital budgets and new program requests for all clinical labortory cost centers. Monitors and ensures adherence by the department to operating and capital budgets. Meets with section managers monthly to review overtime, monthy budget variances, revenue and expense reduction commitments.
- 18. Responsible, along with the Chief, and working with Finance, the Executive Director, and other relevant hospital departments, for development and subsequent revision of various fee schedules for laboratory tests, and laboratory test discount requests.
- 19. Oversees and ensures the effective operation of the Department's purchasing activities in accordance with YNHH policies and procedures. Reviews and prioritizes, along with the Chief, all departmental capital expenditures. Supervises the deparmental product review group.
- 20. Responsible along with the Chief, for departmental accreditation and regulatory requirements to include, but not limited to, proficiency testing program participation, quality assurance regulatory initiatives and site inspections by the College of American Pathologists and other regulatory agencies ( JCAHO,CLIA, DPH,OSHA, FDA, AABB,NRC, FACT). Ensures preparation and completion of pre and post inspection documentsand their timely submission to CAP adn other agencies. Ensures laboratories adhere to all applicable regulatory compliance standards to ensure state, federal and local standards, including, but not limited to all agencies as noted above.
- 21. Responsible for coordination of all billing, coding, revenue and audit initiatives throughout Laboratory Medicine. Works with managers, finance, PFAS, IT , revenue, reimbursement ,etc. to esnure ongoing accuracy of all laboratory billing and coding. In conjunction with Compliance and Internal Audit, follows through with all external audits as to recommendations.
- 22. Atrtends various professional forums, including meetings with representatives of other academic affiliated teaching hospitals in order to foster professional education and keep current on general laboratory operations.
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent, in Medical Technology or equivalent , required. Masters Degree required, with an emphasis in Business or Healthcare Administration
Minimum of ten (10) years of progressive increasing management/professional administrative experience in a healthcare setting. Prior experience in clinical laboratories required.
Excellent managerial, budgeting, interpersonal, writing, and customer service skills. Ability to provide resourceful support in diverse laboratory technical, clinical and operational matters. Proactive approach to problem solving.