We are seeking a Clinical Genomics Variant Analyst- The Clinical Genomics Variant Analyst is responsible for accurately identifying and classifying variants detected through the Institute for Genomic Medicine Clinical Laboratory genetic testing platforms. The Variant Analyst will review and document variants following practice guidelines under the direction of the laboratory Directors and Variant Scientists. The Variant Analyst will assist with new test development and adapt responsibilities as related to changes in the field of genomics.
What Will You Be Doing?
1. Understands and demonstrates Nationwide Children’s Hospital Staff Core Competencies.
2. Performs technical review of sequencing (Sanger and Next-Generation) and other molecular data.
3. Demonstrates ability to provide accurate and timely variant assessment, including evaluation of published literature and clinical data to provide accurate, thorough, and thoughtful clinical interpretation of results.
4. Maintains ongoing knowledge of current theories and principals of human medical genetics, cancer genetics and hereditary cancer disorders.
5. Assists with research, development, validation, and documentation of new genomic assays.
6. Thoroughly documents findings, per laboratory standard operating procedures.
7. Demonstrates self-management skills. Demonstrates the ability to work efficiently and independently, promoting a team environment and maintaining a cooperative and supportive atmosphere.
8. Demonstrates knowledge of and upholds applicable laws and regulations related to position and clinical laboratories. Maintains knowledge of techniques, procedures, and protocols, lab-wide and within lab section. Reviews and acknowledges procedures as required.
9. Assists in process development/improvement within the department including participating in quality assurance, continuing education programs, and department meetings.
10. Demonstrates the discipline-specific technical and computer skills required for the appropriate section of the laboratory. Provides courteous and informative internal and external customer service
• Treats each patient/family as a top priority
• Takes responsibility to resolve customer’s concerns
• Assures that the customer’s expectation drives behaviors
• Continuously improves the quality of the services offered
• Ensures turnaround times are meet with quality results
Aspires to the NCH Vision
o Best Outcomes in everything we do, together delivering the best health care for children.
o Enhancing the health of children by engaging in high-quality, cutting-edge research according to the highest scientific and ethical standards.
Commits to the NCH core values
o Do the right thing
o Create a safe day every day
o Promote health and well-being
o Are agile and innovative
o Get results
What Are We Looking For?
1. Master’s degree in molecular genetics, human genetics, molecular pathology, or computational biology. OR Bachelor’s degree in medical laboratory science; or a chemical, physical or biological science from an accredited institution with at least 4 years of experience in Laboratory Genetics, Cancer Genomics, Computational biology or a related field. Those with clinical lab experience must have American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) certification as an MT(ASCP), MB(ASCP) or CG(ASCP).
2. Preferred experience in variant analysis.
3. Strong analytical skills and ability to critically read and interpret data from scientific publications.
4. Ability to do technical writing, as well as good communication and computer skills.
5. Good organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to initiate and work on several projects at a time with minimal supervision; motivation to follow through to completion while adhering to deadlines and maintaining accurate records.
Your Benefits, Your Wellness:
As an employer, Nationwide Children’s recognizes the importance of the benefits we offer. We also recognize the importance of balancing your work and personal needs. Our benefits and Employee Wellness package is designed to:
Empower you to be a conscientious health care consumer through educational and wellness activities
Establish a work environment that promotes health and well-being
Support your financial protection and security in retirement
Most of our positions are benefits’ eligible from day 1.
Minimum Physical Requirements:
Sitting Constantly (67-100%)
Talking on phone/in person constantly (67-100%)
Typing on a keyboard occasionally (0-33%)
Standing/walking occasionally (0-33%)
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS Ability to stand for more than 1 hour at a time, sit for more than 1 hour at a time. Good visual and auditory acuity. Full use of hands and arms. Ability to speak clearly. Ability to lift up to 30 pounds occasionally. Must complete color blind testing.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.
Internal Number: 2019-14774
About Nationwide Children's Hospital
Why Nationwide Children’s Hospital?
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.