Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Reporting to the Director of Clinical Risk Management, the Clinical Risk Manager is responsible for administering the risk management program and ensuring effective loss prevention/control and compliance with state, federal guidelines and UNC Health Care Standards. The primary responsibility of this position is to administer UNC Hospitals and UNC Liability Insurance Trust Fund (LITF) risk management program on a day-to-day basis, documenting, managing and analyzing risk management data, conducting proactive risk assessments, conducting targeted risk management education, and providing risk management consultation with the objective of promoting patient safety and loss prevention activity in protection of organizational assets.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
1. Initiates, coordinates and manages all investigational and evaluation activities associated with professional liability occurrences, including conducting interviews, researching and reviewing policies and procedures, reviewing of electronic medical record documentation and other information sources; analyzes potential and actual professional liability and general liability exposures and evaluates the extent and elements of exposure and recommends appropriate actions for risk mitigation.
2. Follows an enterprise risk management framework (ISO 31000) in risk identification, analysis, evaluation, mitigation and monitoring. Routinely identifies risk through risk assessments, observation, trended data, inspections, committee minutes, third party reports, attorney requests for medical records and administrative or associate referrals. Develops innovative approaches intended to reduce the frequency and severity of medical malpractice and patient injury claims.
3. Manages incident reporting database documentation of reported events; monitors incident reporting system for patient harm events and unanticipated outcomes and investigates accordingly.
4. Manages and implements the organization's risk management program in a manner that fulfills the mission and strategic goals of the organization while complying with state and federal laws and related accreditation standards. Reviews and/or drafts administrative policy and procedures that fall within the risk management domain. Submits reports to appropriate regulatory authorities as required.
5. Provides clinical risk management consultation to all physician and employees insured by the LITF. Prepares and presents reports to management regarding trends, patterns and findings. Advises on the risk of current or future activities or programs conducted at the hospital. Establishes and coordinates committees and councils where indicated to manage high risk events.
6. Facilitates legal consultation from the UNC Health Care System Office of General Counsel to staff and physicians as indicated. Creates and provides education for employees and physicians in relevant risk management topics.
7. Collaborates with assigned departments, Quality/Performance Improvement and Medication Safety Officer to establish quality and safety goals; participates on hospital quality and patient safety committees.
8. Performs special projects that involve data gathering, preparation of reports, development of recommendations and presentations. Participates in professional organization programs throughout the risk management industry by presentation submissions, committee work, or other roles.
Bachelor's degree in a related degree
Professional Experience Requirements:
Five (5) years of combined experience that may include risk management, clinical, quality or legal work experience.
Internal Number: 6894
About UNC Health
UNC Health is an integrated health care system owned by the state of North Carolina and based in Chapel Hill. UNC Health is committed to empowering health, not just health care. We are proactively focused on healthy-based, personalized care, changing people’s lives for the better.
UNC Health is comprised of UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill, ranked consistently among the best medical centers in the country; Pardee UNC Health in Hendersonville; Chatham Hospital in Siler City; Johnston Health in Clayton and Smithfield; UNC Lenoir Health Care in Kinston; Wayne UNC Health Care in Goldsboro; Caldwell UNC Health Care in Lenoir; Nash UNC Health Care in Rocky Mount; UNC Rockingham Health Care in Eden; Onslow Memorial Hospital in Jacksonville; UNC REX Healthcare and its provider network in Wake County; and the UNC Physicians Network.
BACK TO TOP
ASQ Career Center is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else ASQ has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at ASQ Career Center.