Find your path in health care. We want to change the lives of those in our care - and the people who choose to take on this challenge. If you're ready to change lives, we want to hear from you.
Join our Clinical Research team as a Sponsored Projects/Grant Management Specialist. In this role you will assist with obtaining funding and monitoring sponsored projects to help ensure compliance with grant and federal regulations. If you have at least 2 years of experience within research or healthcare and your looking for a stable career, apply today!
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefits to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Banner Alzheimer's Institute (BAI) was established in 2006 as Banner Health's first Center of Excellence. Banner Health is one of the largest nonprofit health care systems in the United States. Our team is uniquely, passionately and strategically committed to ending Alzheimer's without losing another generation and to providing an unparalleled model of care for families facing this devastating disease. BAI is committed to improving people's lives through excellent patient care and advances that capitalize on the best biomedical research. We intend to make a transformational difference in Alzheimer's research and care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position provides support for the development, submission, compliance monitoring, and reporting for all sponsored projects including NIH, DoD, Industry, Foundation, Philanthropic, and other solicitation requests. Develops and implements streamlined processes and procedures and provides education and training as necessary. Works collaboratively with finance, operations, and other functional areas.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Coordinate proposal preparation and submission for NIH, DoD, Industry, Foundation, Philanthropic, and other solicitation requests. Responsibilities include project budget preparation, electronic submissions, and identifying additional funding opportunities. Coordinates with operational leaders to determine project feasibility, finance staff to ensure budget is adequate to cover costs, and public and institutional sources to identify additional funding sources. Prepares and continuously updates grants administration policies and procedures.
2. Assist with the implementation, administration and reporting requirements on all sponsored projects. Ensure required deliverables and reporting requirements are being completed in a timely manner. Review federal awards and subcontracts to determine whether special terms and conditions are being met. Complete and document risk assessments and regular monitoring reports for all subcontracts. Follow-up with subcontractors for compliance purposes. Interact directly with government and sponsor representatives. Monitors project budget and assists with resource planning to ensure resources are aligned with project deliverables. Assist with closeout procedures for federal awards and subcontracts.
3. Manages post-award activities including financial grants and federal clinical trials management and troubleshoots any issues with external sponsors and sub-recipients. Provides project budget oversight and management and analyzes terms and conditions of grants, contracts, and other agreements to ensure financial integrity and compliance with company regulatory guidelines. Monitors project revenues/expenses including time and effort reporting, subcontractor invoices, patient care costs, and follows-up on any variances.
4. Provides educational sessions regarding grant proposal preparation, electronic grant proposal submission guidelines, receipt of grant awards and close-out of grants. Develops education and training sessions related to research registration, charge entry, and appropriate capture and attribution of research costs with research finance and administration staff.
5. This position serves as a resource for Banner Research staff, maintains networks and communication flow, and represents Banner Research to outside entities. The incumbent will utilize leadership qualities, team management, and interpersonal skills to orient research personnel and representatives of outside companies, foundations, or institutes to the policies and procedures of Banner Research. There is a strong emphasis on professional competencies, knowledge of pre/post award rules and regulations, superior customer service, team performance, and the ability to communicate effectively throughout the entire process.
6. This position works independently, coordinating and managing the pre-award and post-award functions of sponsored projects throughout the Banner Health System facilities. This position works with other departments to ensure compliance with all regulations and within company policy/guidelines. Internally interfaces with all levels of company management. Externally interfaces with sponsors, NIH, and other regulatory officials.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Experience typically obtained through a Bachelors' degree business, public administration, finance or related major is required.
Two to three years of related experience in research, healthcare, finance, or business required. General understanding of federal contracting and subcontracting processes, rules, and development. Basic understanding of the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR). Experience researching and interpreting contract-related regulations or policies. Basic understanding of contract negotiations, including contract language, clauses and provisions negotiations and contract execution.
Demonstrated ability to perform and prepare budget estimates (preferably in a research environment), to understand financial concepts, to conduct accurate mathematical computations, understand previously negotiated agreements, and institutional policies. Demonstrated ability in the areas of development and management of research projects, grant budgets, and in implementing systems to ensure research processes meet regulatory guidelines. Prior experience in research and healthcare financial management, budgeting, forecasting, cost accounting, cost sharing and allowable research costs required. Organizational skills and the ability to multi-task is also required as are excellent human relations and communication skills. Must be highly organized, able to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously, work independently as well as in a team, and exercise good judgment.
Must have excellent interpersonal relations and communication skills to guide Banner Health research personnel and external sponsors towards mutually acceptable goals. Must be able to understand complex rules, regulations, and policy and apply them consistently. Individuals must also possess/develop working knowledge of MS software applications, NIH eCommons, and other similar systems.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Relevant research certification, e.g. CRA, CHRC. Experience with research protocols, contract terms and conditions, expense budgets, medical terminology, and procedure codes is preferred. Experience with the clinical revenue system, research billing systems, research services databases (CTMS), and coding processes is helpful. Experience with federal, foundation, and industry relations, and previous experience working with medical staff and scientific materials is helpful.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.