Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Neurology Admin 30
The Nobis lab investigates basic mechanisms of epilepsy and sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP).
The research assistant position can be at the entry level (college graduate) or with some experience.
Reporting directly to the Principal Investigator, the Research Assistant will interact with faculty, staff, and students within the laboratory. The RA would be expected to perform experiments under moderate supervision and direction from the PI as well as assist in managing the lab including operations, ordering, and inventory.
This would entail but is not limited to management of mouse colony and breeding, assisting and performing stereotaxic mouse surgeries and post-operative care, dissection of mouse tissues, operating a cryostat for generation of tissues sections, immunohistochemistry, and fluorescent/confocal microscopy to capture images of neurons, isolation of RNA and RT-PCR. Project responsibilities will also include working with mouse lines and maintaining a breeding colony including DNA isolation, genotyping, and timed matings. Limited mouse behavioral work such as scoring seizure videos or behavioral assays. May assist in analysis of electrophysiological recording data or perform slice calcium imaging and analysis.
Skills and Abilities
* Ability to work with others and individually.
* Reliable and professional attitude.
* Eager - Enthusiastic, wanting to learn, wanting to continue one's personal and professional development and expertise.
* Experience with the care of rodents.
* Mouse colonies management
* Previous experience with rodent colonies management is preferred
* Any experience with molecular techniques such as PCR, genotyping, and cataloging of transgenic mice
* Experience with western blot, perfusion, dissection of mouse tissues, immunohistochemistry is preferred
* Maintain inventories
* Prepare reagents
* Takes initiative in delivering results on time and responding to needs of the team
* Communicate effectively with lab members
Our Academic Enterprise is one of the nation's longest serving and most prestigious academic medical centers. Through its historic bond with Vanderbilt University and integral role in the School of Medicine, Vanderbilt Health cultivates distinguished research and educational programs to advance a clinical enterprise that provides compassionate and personalized care and support for millions of patients and family members each year.
World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.
Aligning with Vanderbilt Health's Strategic Directions, the Office of Research provides shared research resources, administrative expertise and professional guidance to enable the trans-disciplinary environment and highly collaborative culture that advances discovery and training for all the research faculty, trainees, students and staff.
* Organizational Impact: Performs clearly defines tasks and methods described in detail to achieve standardized solutions that impact own performance with regular guidance. * Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Follows a well established process to solve routine problems where solutions are clearly prescribed. * Breadth of Knowledge: Has basic job knowledge of systems and procedures that are common to own job. * Team Interaction: Individually contributes to the team.
Core Capabilities :
Delivering Excellent Services : Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service. Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns in a timely manner. Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support. Ensuring High Quality : Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards. Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond. Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department. Managing Resources Effectively: Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service. Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error. Fostering Innovation :Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them. - Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.- Adapts to Change: Embraces changes by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Work Experience :
Relevant Work Experience
Experience Level :
Less than 1 year
For a copy of the physical requirements of this position to determine if you can perform the duties with or without an accommodation or to request an accommodation, please contact VUMC Employee Relations at 615-343-4759 or firstname.lastname@example.org.