Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Leads the daily operations of decentralized animal facilities. Is the primary resource for staffing, equipment, compliance, physical plant and research support activities in assigned area. Develops, supervises, and provides training for internal and external staff.
* Assesses the cleaning and maintenance of animal quarters to ensure it meets or exceeds industry and regulatory standards.
* Schedules the daily care of research animals. Oversees the receipt and housing of new animals. Regularly monitors facility to assess the health and welfare of the animals.
* Monitors and maintains adequate supply inventory levels. Works with vendors to draft maintenance contracts and obtain approvals.
* Ensures that the all environmental parameters in the facility are in compliance. Initiates corrective maintenance by internal or external resources, for all deviations out of acceptable range(s).
* Reviews documentation and identifies trends that deviate from regulatory requirements. Directs corrective actions to ensure compliance and reports deviations to leadership.
* Completes census of animal inventory for space management and cost recovery.
* Trains staff and monitors competency in the care and maintenance of animals. Conducts refresher training and serves as a resource for operational and husbandry questions.
* Leadership (Intermediate): Formulates a vision while motivating & guiding employees promoting engagement. Leaders state precise goals, ensures the commitment of individuals to those goals, defines the methods of measurement, and provides the incentive to accomplish measureable outcomes.
* Quality Management (Novice): Developing a systematic process of checking to see whether a process or service is meeting specific requirements.
* Business Results (Novice): Ability to achieve business results while focusing on quality, customer satisfaction, and stewardship.
* Compliance (Intermediate): Understanding the rules, regulations, sanctions and other statutory requirements, guidelines and instructions relating to governing bodies and organizations, both internally and externally.
* People Management (Intermediate): Interacting, communicating, building relationships and developing employees.
* Operations Planning (Intermediate): Anticipates resource needs to meet objectives and implements appropriate processes.
* Laboratory Animal Diseases (Intermediate): Knowledge of and experience with laboratory animal diseases, outbreaks, methods of spread, and methods of limiting disease.
* Animal Care Knowledge (Advanced): Knowledgeable on the needs, treatment, and husbandry for different animal species. Able to ensure their welfare, nutrition, and safety.
Our Academic Enterprise is one of the nation's longest serving and most prestigious academic medical centers. Through its historic bond with Vanderbilt University and integral role in the School of Medicine, Vanderbilt Health cultivates distinguished research and educational programs to advance a clinical enterprise that provides compassionate and personalized care and support for millions of patients and family members each year.
World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.
Aligning with Vanderbilt Health's Strategic Directions, the Office of Research provides shared research resources, administrative expertise and professional guidance to enable the trans-disciplinary environment and highly collaborative culture that advances discovery and training for all the research faculty, trainees, students and staff.
* Organizational Impact: Directs activities to achieve operational plans with some near term effect on results of the department/area.* Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Identifies issues, gathers facts to resolve technical and operational problems. * Breadth of Knowledge: Applies in-depth knowledge and skills of a professional/technical area and basic management knowledge to manage the work of the team.* Team Interaction: Leads a complex department with a focus on implementation. Typically executes on a short to medium term strategies.
Core Capabilities :
Supporting Colleagues: - Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy, and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance e and gain knowledge in new areas. - Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships. - Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences .Delivering Excellent Services : - Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them. - Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions. - Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness. Ensuring High Quality - Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly. - Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them. - Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring. Managing Resources Effectively: - Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area. - Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities. Fostering Innovation: - Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches. - Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges. - Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Work Experience :
Relevant Work Experience
Experience Level :
For a copy of the physical requirements of this position to determine if you can perform the duties with or without an accommodation or to request an accommodation, please contact VUMC Employee Relations at 615-343-4759 or firstname.lastname@example.org.